Too Many Damn Lists!

note: scroll down for today's review

Ugh, just what we need. Another freaking list right? Well, in light of trying to figure out my own "Green List", as well as after bouncing around the internet the last few days, reading through Nikki Finke's comment section, along with my own and others, there seems to be a section of Hollywood that believes a lot of scripts were overlooked for The Black List in order for agencies and production companies to get their own projects on the list. In fact, they even started a "Black List 2.0" in Finke's comment section. It quickly got swallowed up in the discussion. However, I thought, why not give the idea some legitimate attention?

I don't know if these complainers are the bitter "our script didn't make it" minority, or if this is a legitimate claim. I, for one, have found that most of the scripts on The Black List were really good. But hey, if it's true. If there are some truly great unknown scripts that didn't make it because the writers didn't have the connections, let's hear about them. When The Black List started, almost all of the scripts on it were unproduced. Getting back to the spirit of that, let's see if we can't come up with a list that contains some of today's true unknowns.

I want to make clear that I am in no way doing this to discredit The Black List. I'm one who thinks that what Franklin is doing is great, and that anything that promotes the writer or helps a project get made is a good thing. Think of this more as a (totally unaffiliated) companion piece. I want to celebrate more of the great scripts bouncing around town that, for whatever reason, didn't make the original list.

So leave your Top 5 (in order) here in the comment section, or e-mail them to me. Requirements are loose, but basically I'm asking, readers, CEs, producers, anyone who has access to scripts in the pipeline, etc., to list their 5 favorites from the year that didn't make the 2009 Black List. If no one lists anything, I'll assume that there isn't that glut of mythological great scripts floating around.

note: I am keeping an eye on IP addresses in the comment section. So please refrain from pumping up your great screenplay on multiple lists. I'm not saying it isn't great, but that's not what this exercise is about.