Tuesday Talkback: "It's Just a Movie!"

Building off of yesterday's question, what's your particular threshold for invoking the "it's just a movie" defense of a plot hole, and which plot holes are impossible for you to ignore even with that defense?

Like, for me, I find the ending of Independence Day insanely dumb. I'm willing to go with the idea that these aliens have mastered interstellar travel and come all this way simply to wreak devastation and destructing. And you know what, I'm even willing to go with the fact that it's rather easy to destroy an entire alien ship simply by hitting it's one weak point. Hell, I'll even allow for the ridiculousness that since the ships are 15 miles wide, that the one Randy Quaid destroys must have shifted at least 7.5 miles in another direction before it crashed - otherwise it would have hit Area 51.

But you know what I can't ignore? The fact that Jeff Goldblum is able to hack into an alien computer and implant a virus using his Mac laptop. Ridiculous. I can invoke "It's just a movie" for a lot, but for some reason that straw breaks the camel's back.

Conversely, even though I'm sure 95% of what the computers in Live Free or Die Hard do is ridiculous, I'm able to just shut off my brain and go with the flow for everything in that movie. Go figure.

So what examples can you think of where a particularly ridiculous plot point pulled you out a movie, and what is the most ludicrous twist you HAVE been able to swallow?!