Tuesday Talkback: Do awards and nominations matter?

Sunday night the Golden Globes were presented, with The Artist taking home Best Picture in the Musical or Comedy category, while The Descendants grabbed that trophy in the Drama catagory.  The Oscar nominations are due to come out next week, all of which me to ask...

Does any of this mean anything to you?

How much effect do the various award nominations and wins affect your viewing habits?  For me, it has some impact, but not a great deal.  Most years I end up seeing 3 or 4 of the Best Picture nominees prior to the Oscars.  I'll confess that there are years where I've sometimes sought out films out of obligation to remain "in the loop" more than out of genuine, passionate interest.  But then, in many ways, it's my job to stay abreast of current films as much as possible.

I assume there are a fair number of you who aren't currently working in the industry.  Will an Oscar nomination for a particular film make you more likely to see it?  Or are your viewing habits consistently dictated by your own tastes?